Saturday, March 1, 2014

A Scary Day

Yesterday morning at about 5am Scott had a seizure. We were both sleeping, but I was suddenly woken up when he let out a loud moan, followed by his entire body shaking. After he stopped shaking, I couldn't get him to wake up or respond to me at all. I wasn't sure if he was breathing or what to do, so I called 911. While I was speaking with them,, I heard Scott start to breath heavily, which was a huge relief to me at the moment. He still wouldn't respond or wake up, but I knew he was breathing. The 911 operator instructed me to pull all the blankets and pillows off the bed and get him laying flat on the floor. I put my arms under him and tried to pick him up, but I couldn't even lift him in the slightest. I told her that I was 8 months pregnant and he was probably 75 pounds heavier than me - I just couldn't do it. Then, Scott became conscious and moved across the bed - I could tell he was not himself and very out of it. He laid down flat across the bed, and I knew there was absolutely no way I could get him on the floor now. About that moment, the paramedics arrived, thankfully.

The paramedics started asking me all kinds of questions and trying to get some vitals from Scott. Like I said, he was not himself - he didn't know what was going on and was really confused - so while they were trying to get blood pressure, poke him, etc., he was trying to push them away and get out of the room. There were probably 7 or 8 paramedics trying to get him to lay down and calm down. I also tried talking to him to calm him down, but it didn't really help. They ended up giving him some muscle relaxers so they could get him out to the ambulance and to the ER. 

Lydia slept through the whole thing. I sent a text to our upstairs landlords because I figured we had woken them up (especially because I forgot to tell the 911 operator that we were in the basement apartment and they knocked on their door first :). What can I say. I was a little panicked... They were so sweet, came down immediately, and stayed with Lydia while I rushed to the hospital. When I got to the hospital, Scott was still conscious, but still not himself. When I walked in the room, the nurse asked if he knew who I was, and he was able to recognize me and tell her my name. He was pretty exhausted, so he kept falling in and out of sleep while nurses kept coming in and out of the room checking on us.. It wasn't until about an hour and a half later that he started to act like himself again and able to have conversation with me. Even though he was acting normal again, he wasn't able to retain or remember things. He asked me a few times what had happened. After about 2.5 hours, it seemed like he was finally able to start remembering the things that were happening. 

While we were at the hospital, Scott went through various tests to identify what could have caused the seizure. First, they took him in for a cat scan, and the results showed a mass on his brain. Since they needed to find out more detail about the mass, they took Scott in for an MRI. The doctor explained that they were not able to figure out any more about the mass out from the MRI, meaning we needed to meet with a neurosurgeon the following week. Most likely, a biopsy will need to be performed in order to test a sample of the tumor. They said it could be something simple, such as a cyst or lesion. Hopefully, whatever it is will be a relatively simple fix (as simple as brain surgery can be). A couple hours later, after they had some time to monitor Scott and he was feeling back to normal, they released him from the hospital. We weren't able to schedule anything with a neurosurgeon yesterday, so hopefully we will be able to get everything coordinated on Monday. 

Right now, we are all doing fairly well. Today Scott has a headache and has been feeling sore and tired, but other than that, he feels normal and will most likely return to class on Monday. Emotionally, it has been a lot to take in, but physically he has been feeling well. Hopefully the coming days and weeks will provide us with more answers. In the meantime, thank you all for your love and support! We have been so blessed to have so many praying and fasting on our behalf. We know Heavenly Father is watching over us and will help us as we get Scott the treatment he needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment